Saturday, February 25, 2012

So I Guess It's Spring...

All the plants seem to think do anyway. We've only had 3.25 inches of rain so far this year, and our average high for February has been 62. I've got new growth on the raspberries, pomegranate, jasmine and wisteria and flower buds on the grapefruit, lemon and blood orange. I decided theres no arguing with mother nature, so it's best to just go with the flow and get a head start on summer.



I bought a sweet new shovel to replace the one that was douchily stolen from our backyard a month ago, and last week I started a bunch of seeds for the Summer 2012 garden. We've got heirloom tomatoes, sweet and chili peppers, dill, English lavender, echinacea and Roman chamomile. For info on seed starting, check my posts from last year on the subject.


This year I'm using peat pots again, but actually using potting soil, so I should already be ahead of the game :) We're adding more tomato varieties to this year's garden and a number of chili peppers I haven't grown before. I started two of each type below, and three San Marzano seeds in anticipation of my growing saucing needs:

Tomatoes
-Black Cherry
-Black Krim
-Black Prince
-Evergreen
-Green Copia
-Jaune Flamme
-Pink Ping Pong
-Primrose Gage
-Random Annie
-Red Cushion
-San Marzano
-Super Snow White

Peppers
-Sweet Bell Mix
-Sweet Cherry
-Thai Chili
-New Mew Twilight Chili
-Machu Picchu/Charapita Chili
-Scotch Bonnet Chili
-Hawaiian Chili

Somehow four of the tomatoes germinated in four days. About half of them are up now, seven days after sowing. The chamomile has been up a few days, the dill is working on it, but I have one solitary one pepper seedling barely poking through the surface. Some of my hot pepper varieties can take up to 45 days to germinate, so here's to me finding the patience to wait for them all. Game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment