Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Prepping the Cold Season Garden

The weather is changing; I can smell it. And even though my summer crops are still producing in our temperate Bay Area climate, it is time to look ahead to what is next.

By the time Labour Day rolled around this year, I had already planned out the winter garden. This was a first for me and made infinitely easier by the Jamilah's Garden Binder I started keeping this year. I've pulled together information on companion planting, seed starting, tips for care and recipes, along with a bunch of copies of a skeleton diagram of the garden I drew out.


Keeping all of this information in one place has been really valuable, in that I have the answers to most of my questions already at my fingertips. Planning this way also lets me keep the diagrams of past gardens to reference what worked and what didn't, without relying entirely on my decidedly shoddy memory.

Blank garden planning diagram.
Summer 2011 Plan.
Planned Winter 2011/12 Garden.

The first item on my list of 'crap to do that isn't that exciting but needs to be done anyway', is pulling plants that are done for the season, and tilling the soil mixing in lots of organic matter. I've got half of the garden dug up now, but I'll have to wait a bit on doing the other side because the tomatoes are still doing their thing. We had a powdery mildew problem late in the growing season with our french round squash that luckily didn't spread to any of the other plants.
French round squash pumpkin, and the beginnings of
our powdery mildew issue.

I've left one of the plants in the ground as long as I can, because I am growing a couple of squash to pumpkin size to harvest their seeds for next year. Alas, I can't wait any longer, as that area needs to be prepped asap for the garlic to be planted. That (and carving said 'pumpkin') will be a project for this weekend. I will be watering down the entire area with neem oil, to try to kill any powdery mildew spores that would likely overwinter in the soil in our climate. Hopefully the garlic will be able to be planted before the end of the month.

Since I've already planned the garden, I was able to start a lot of my cold season seeds last week! We've got golden and chioggia beets, chinese kale, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and acorn and butternut squash all sprouting in our craft room.

Grow baby, grow!

The most important part about germinating seeds is getting the right temperature and moisture level, although light (or dark) and oxygen are also necessary. I manage my seed starting environment by putting my peat pots inside a mail bin, and then putting that mail bin inside a white garbage bag with the end open. Most of the seeds I grow don't require light until they have sprouted (although some do), but I do provide them with light right off the bat because I find it increases the humidity in the bin, and the light will be available the second the seeds have sprouted. So sue me.

Acorn squash seedlings.

Once these babies have a few true leaves, I'll start the hardening off process and get them in the ground! It's been awhile since I got my hands dirty, so I am rather looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment